Friday 3 August 2012

Bee friends

A long time ago I found this website, which was having a campaign to save the bees. They were sending out little packs of seeds in the post, so that everybody could help out by planting bee-friendly flowers. 

As some of you may already know, we've been home-schooling my little brother ever since we moved house in May because his new school was full and he's not able to start until September. One sunny day, we decided to go outside and do some bee-friendly gardening. I had already sent off for the seeds (during the campaign you could get them for free, a really nice initiative!) so we went out with our spades and our soil and planted them in a little pot. 


It's taken a couple of months, but they've finally grown. And the nicest part was that the seeds come in mixed packs, which means you don't know what it is that you're planting. So I arrived home from Sweden yesterday evening and was very pleasantly this morning to see that we had managed to grow two of my favourite flowers: cornflowers and poppies :)


What do you think? I like these kinds of campaigns, it seems like such a sweet and gentle way to educate the little ones about our environment and to inspire them to help protect it. 

If you'd like to help too, I believe the petition is still open to be signed. Just click on the link above to learn more :)

inspire nordic

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! The bee situation is pretty important and critical!! So have any showed up yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! Like JoJo, I'm also wondering: have you seen any bees?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't noticed any bees but I haven't been home for very long. Actually my little brother pointed out after he planted the seeds, "why would any child want an increase of bees in their garden? Do they just think it's funny to get all of us stung?" :)

    ReplyDelete