Saturday 11 August 2012

My Oslo Anniversary

Today it is a whole year since my first day living in Oslo.


One year ago today I met one of the most important people in my life, a sweet Korean girl named Eunseong. When I first met Eunseong, it was very late in the evening and she was so tired that she rushed right off to bed. I waited and waited the next morning for her to wake up so that I could get to know her - I just knew somehow that we would become friends! 

Ever since the day I met her, Eunseong has taken care of me. As some of you know, I went through some really hard times while I was away and Eunseong was always there to comfort me, to make me tea and to talk everything through with me. I'm so thankful that we met, she has taught me so much, not only about love and growing up and relationships, but she's taught me so much about myself. She's one of those special people who bring out the very best in you and I feel so lucky to have met her. 

While I was living in Oslo I often wondered if I had made the right decision in studying there. It was hard to mix with the locals so it didn't feel like I was getting any benefit from a language point of view (the reason for the year abroad). I had a sort of break down and was at a very low point in my life. I remember telling someone that I feared looking back on my time abroad and seeing it as one gigantic waste of time, emotion and money. However, now that I have left and am in a position to look back, I see it in a much more positive light. I see Oslo as the town that gave me one of the best friends that I could ever wish for, one that has influenced my life in such a way that I feel like a stronger, happier and more balanced person than I thought possible. 

And for that I'm eternally grateful. 

inspire nordic

16 comments:

  1. Dear Nikki, what a wonderful post. Thank you so much for sharing. Friends DO make the world go round. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Nikki! I got all teary eyed! Where does Eunseong live now or is she still in Oslo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) I was teary eyed writing it! She has one more year in Oslo but after that she will move back to Korea :( So far away!!

      Delete
  3. One of the best things about studying abroad is the people you meet and the friends you make. No matter how far apart you are, a good friend like Eunseong is worth holding on to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww she sounds great, I'm glad you guys are such good friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always nice when you've made a close friend like that :) I'd love to live in another country for a year, don't think I'd have the guts to, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, that's so lovely! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet picture and post! I'm glad you found such a good friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful post! Friends are such blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Nikki, this post is really beautiful. You're both adorable ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where would we all be without friends!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I am so glad you have a friend like this one, it is so important to have nice friends to talk and just have fun! I hope you'll stay friends forever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful! And I know how that feels, studying aboard fear of making wrong decisions, waste of money and time... I am like that right now. You are so blessed I have to say! Eunseong looks really friendly too! Hope you guys keep this precise friendship forever! <3 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nikki! Actually I visited here sometimes, even though I never wrote any. What a wonderful surprise!You really made me cry! I'm extremely lucky to have you as my friend. You are such a lovely human being Nikki! You are the best thing I've ever had. Just remember that you can visit me here in Oslo anytime :) Susanne and Raluca also miss you a lot! It would be such an honor for all of us to see your not-just-a-pretty face again! Love you so much >_<

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a nice post, a feel-good post, from your words, Nikki, down through the comments to Euseong's comment! I'm happy for your friendship. :-)

    ReplyDelete